Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Metanarratives

I often tell people that the reason I rarely watch movies is because I never have time. This is sort of true.
The part about never watching movies, I mean. In 2006, I went to Showplace 16 three times. I rented one movie from Blockbuster. Other than maybe catching part of Missing in Action 2 on a Saturday afternoon, I didn't see any other movies.
But when I do see movies, it's An Experience. I'm a 5th century BC Athenian witnessing theater for the first time. I mean, heavy catharsis.
So last night I watched my first movie this year. Stranger Than Fiction. Loved it.
There's so much in this movie. But what I saw was this: Harold Crick realizes he's part of something greater than himself; that he's in a story, a narrative much larger than his bare routine, a narrative that imbues the banal with meaning. He accepts this, even to the point of certain death.
Cried at the end. Plump raindrop tears.
I loved the movie because it's true. I'm part of a story much larger than myself. God help me to fulfill my role.

2 Comments:

Blogger markusmende said...

I miss hanging out with you, brother. I love big words and bigger concepts and how they stretch us as people. I work in a restaurant full of mainly college-aged people. As you can imagine, most of the conversations are not so highbrow, if you will.


I need to have more deep thoughts. I think I'm going to rent The Matrix:Reloaded tonight.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Markusmende, I resent that comment about college-aged people, although I can see your point...well, to a degree. I'll have you know that a good number of us college kids are quite intellectually stimulating conversationalists. I'm truly sorry that the ones you're running into aren't the sharpest pencils in the box, but not all of us young'uns are complete imbeciles. Really.

And Nate, I also cried at the end of Stranger than Fiction. I enjoyed the concept of the movie and how it demonstrated the sometimes difficult processes involved in writing. Contrary to what many people believe, writing is hard work! Watching this movie made me glad that killing characters is not usually a hazard for journalists.

Of course, there are no guarantees that I won’t have to kill anyone in my personal writing. Luckily for me, I'm in a phase of voracious sonnet-writing right now, and I haven't had to kill anyone. Yet. Most writers of love poems don’t kill their characters...well, not unless they have Poe-like tendencies...poor Annabel Lee. :-(

12:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home