Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Here comes the cavalry

Internet retailing and rapid silkscreening have given rise to a Cambrian explosion of pop-culture T-shirts. On sites like cafepress.com, you can upload a design, choose some shirt styles, and they'll make and ship the shirt if somebody orders it. Comedy catchphrases, ironic icons and pure silliness abound.
Within 24 hours of seeing the infamous YouTube video of the University of Florida student getting tased, the multimedia editor at my newspaper had created a cafepress T-shirt with a lightning bolt and "Don't Taze Me, Bro!" emblazoned on it. Unfortunately, he was late to the game: There were already four or five similar shirts up.
When I see an ad for these kind of cottage industry shirt shops, I usually visit because they're funny. But I've always resisted buying one. Until now. I think this shirt conveys the underlying sentiment of most Obama supporters, so I'll wear it with pride.
And irony.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay T said...

I think you've drank the Kool-aid.

11:26 AM

 
Blogger Nate said...

You're just jealous because Ron Paul doesn't have a T-shirt.

3:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home