Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Why law (Part II)

When I tell people I want to become a lawyer, they either encourage me or they say something like, "Is there any way I could dissuade you?"
I'm sure if I wanted to be a doctor, nobody would try to stop me. People respect doctors. Oh well.
In the minds of most Americans, lawyers are slightly better than cockroaches and a little worse than journalists. So, it will only be a slight loss in social standing for me. Plenty of people already don't like what I do.
But pursuing law will be a HUGE challenge. That's a big reason for choosing this path: to stretch myself. My academic background is utilitarian, not prestigious. I earned my associate's degree at a community college before I commuted to a compass-point state university to finish my bachelor's. My undergraduate studies were not very challenging -- I didn't buy textbooks in some classes because I never had to crack them to learn the material. My major, journalism, isn't exactly a mind crusher.
I never believed that I should (or could) rise beyond mediocre. I'm an underachiever. So I want to find out what I'm capable of in a demanding college setting. To whom much has been given, much will be required. I can't keep giving minimum effort and expect my life to be satisfying decades from now.
The study of law is rigorous. At every school I visit, the professors and administrators talk about how I'll learn to "think like a lawyer." What they mean is the education will make me a better critical thinker, teach me to synthesize volumes of information quickly, and show me how to reason coherently.
The lawyer who promised me lunch described law school this way: It takes your brain out, reorganizes it and puts it back in. It gives you a how new way of looking at the world. That kind of education is good for me no matter what I choose to do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I can relate to pretty much everything you wrote. And good for you about Iowa! Good luck

6:12 AM

 
Blogger stewtrekk said...

I've heard ever side of how law school teaches you to think differently and look at the world differently.

Good luck. You hope that different is good for you.

On the negative, I new a 'recovering' lawyer that he just didn't like how law made you look at the world. I have also heard more than a few dislike law school, but it is what you have to do to become a lawer.

One the positive, law school teaches you how to solve puzzles and to process information in a critial way. And if you like a good argument, man you can't beat it!

Go Iowa!

3:38 PM

 
Blogger Katie said...

I am right there with you , Nate.

5:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home