Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Why law? (Part I)

"If you want to write well and live well at the same time you better arrange to inherit money."
-- Flannery O'Connor

O'Connor was talking about fiction writers, but her comment applies to just about anybody who earns their wages by stringing words together.
I don't know when I starting thinking about being a lawyer. But I know why I did: Money. Journalists barely earn a middle class living. I've been working in newsrooms for seven years and I still make less than skilled tradesmen my age. My industry is cheap.
Somewhere along the way I realized that writing alone is not going to give me financial security. I wouldn't care if I were only responsible for myself, but I have Nicholas. I want him to go to college someday without worrying about paying for it. I don't want him restricted by financial burdens when he starts out in life.
So that's my crude reason for pursuing law. Stay tuned for more reasons...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home