Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Movie buff?

Remember how I said I don't watch movies anymore? Well, after my movie post, I started again. I'm repeating the film noir stage I had when I was 13 years old. I guess I'm re-living my youth. I started out with Treasure of the Sierra Madre, which isn't really noir, but it's a great Humphrey Bogart flick. Now I'm working my way through the Cagney filmography. First, White Heat (of course). Last night, The Roaring Twenties.
I think I love noir because it's straightforward. All the action is displayed in facial expressions. Unlike the pomo flicks I watch, the narrative arc is not disorienting. There's grimy characters and they do rotten things, but there's always a glimmer of humanity in them. Kind of like a lot of us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try "The Third Man," one of Orson Welles' great movies.

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Katie said...

Holy Crap, I was just gonna tell you to check out the Third Man...but someone beat me to it.
Orson Welles is bitchin.

4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home