Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ten years have got behind you

Today I had coffee with an old friend, Lindsay. I had not seen her in a decade, though we recently found each other on MySpace. It was great to see her and catch up. I knew her because she dated one of my close friends in high school. She's married now to another classmate of mine and lives in Colorado.
It was strange to sit and talk to someone after such a long absence. For one thing, I can't get over the fact that I'm now old enough to have more than 10 years of adult life behind me. The other day I was at a meeting where there were a bunch of teenage girls. As I was listening to them, it dawned on me that I could not relate to where they were coming from, at least, I was not "one of them." When I was 25, I could still at least deceive myself into thinking that I had things in common with 18 year olds.
The continuing revelations of the big 3-0.
It's also odd to see somebody years later and realize that neither of you is the same person you were when you were close. It's a comforting thing to have a shared history, to have someone who knows who you were. But when you've changed, you want them to know who you are now, too. And you want to know who they are now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home