Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Smoking prohibited

I went to a birthday party tonight and had a brush with death. Well, maybe not death, but at least significant bodily harm.
When I walked up onto the screened porch, a couple of my friends were out there smoking. All the seats were taken, so I sat down on a cooler and leaned against the railing. While I was talking to my friend Rich, I noticed votive candles placed in front of each window, about two or three feet apart. Using my powers of deductive reasoning, I realized that if the candles were evenly spaced all down the railing, then there must be one right behind me. As I leaned forward and looked over my shoulder, sure enough, there was one. Also, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a small yellow flame licking up from my jacket. I jumped up, turned around and yelled to Rich "Put me out!!" It took him a split second to realize I was on fire. My shoulder blade started getting hot, but he hit the burning spot a couple times with his hand and snuffed it out.
If I wouldn't have noticed the fire until I felt the heat on my back, I would have gotten a good burn. As it was, I just ruined a jacket, a shirt and a T-shirt. And got laughed at by the partygoers.
And I really liked that jacket, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger katpurrrz said...

...and by your co-workers. Way to use your reporter-like observation skills! LOL!

9:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home