Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Parental panic, Vol. XXVI

As I was picking up Nicholas from his grandmother's church, he ran over to a trash can to throw away his lollipop stick. A family was standing nearby and since Nicholas has no fear of strangers, he inserted himself into their midst. The mom gave him something; it turned out to be a penny. I reminded him to say thank you and he tore off to the ATM where he tried to put it into one of the machine's slots.
As we walked down the hallway back to the parking garage, Nicholas busied himself by putting the penny into his mouth (yuck!). I told him to stop it, but of course, he kept right on doing it. Then, because I was pulling him along in a crowd of people, he did what all children do when you want them to behave, he decided to lay on the floor. With the penny in his mouth.
Only now, when I told him to spit it out, he grinned. But because he was on his back, the penny fell into his throat. His smile evaporated and was replaced with wide-eyed terror. He tried to swallow. I immediately imagined the upcoming trip to the emergency room and the long, arduous journey the penny would take through his GI tract.
But I was snapped back from my daydream when a nearby woman exclaimed, "he's choking!" I snatched Nicholas up by the belly and gave him a couple quick Heimlech squeezes and out popped the penny. That was a close one!
Of course, the whole ordeal lasted less than three seconds. So my pang of fear didn't come until afterward, when I was carrying him to the car. Ah, parenthood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

Holy crap! You didn't tell me about this on sunday morning. Man, he's a piece of work. Glad everything was OK.

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Tricky said...

Jann once had a similar experience with a piece of scotch tape- which unlike a penny cannot be "popped" out. Instead you must cram your hand down the throat of your wee one and feel around for that small clear, flimsy piece of certain death.

6:48 PM

 
Blogger Nate said...

I know I lived in mortal fear of balloons as a child because my grandmother told tales of hapless children suffocated when they popped balloons with their mouths and flaps of rubber embedded themselves deep inside their larynxes, spreading out like tent walls, sealing off the airway, blocking the last vestiges of breath. I'm sure she believed that story, too.

8:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home