Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

'Snow picnic

This week, about 10 inches of snow got dumped on us over two days. I don't have a snowblower. And I live on a corner lot with three times the lineal sidewalk space of my neighbors. %!$%@#^&$ Euclidean geometry!!!
After the first major snowfall this winter, I huffed and heaved and shoveled off my driveway, which is large enough to taxi a 737 on. I petered out when it came to the sidewalks, but thankfully my neighbor took pity on my and let me borrow her snowblower. Since my back-breaking effort, I've been kind of lackadaisical in my attitude toward snow-covered walkways. Why fight it? Must we force our repressive cultural expectations of dry feet and clear, straight paths onto the free-ranging, uninhibited whirlwind of frosty bliss? I didn't even shovel the driveway a few snowfalls ago either. I've got 4WD now, so who cares? Snowdrifts can't stop me. After a few days, the driveway looked like a windswept Himalayan landscape, with deep troughs and miniature mountain ranges. Of course, when I finally did try to move the compacted snow and ice, it was more like a surface mining operation.
Anyway, when it snowed a few days ago my neighbors on either side took pity on me again and did my sidewalks with their respective snowblowers. But after the 4 or 5 inches we got the next night, I think they were tired of carrying the neighborhood's dead weight. So I knew I had to shovel. I whined about it to anyone who would listen. I even contemplated using my birthday money to run out an buy my own snowblower at the last minute, but the home improvement stores shut down before I ever mustered the effort.
Then a friend, probably tired of listening to me gripe, let me borrow his snowblower. I did my driveway, my walks, my neighbors' sidewalks all the way up the block. I got out the shovel and cut passages through the chunky, plow-pushed piles at the street corner. I even fixed the snowblower's loose handle. I was invigorated. Snow blowing is so easy. No more shoveling every last inch of walk.
Then I realized that if I went and bought a snowblower myself, by next winter I would be griping about how hard it is to go out and push it.
Go figure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a rhyme and a reason to shoveling other than asthetic value. If someone falls on your property, you pay. That's right. Those sidewalks only look public. They are private property that is the homeowner's responsibility. That's why I don't have sidewalks. Shoveling the drive is enough for me. Can't even find someone in this town who wants to do it for money.

8:06 AM

 
Blogger Tricky said...

Um...could you come snowblow my driveway? Thanks

12:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home