Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Beware sources bearing gifts

Okay, I make a point of never blogging about work because folks get busted for that all the time, but since this is relatively harmless, here goes.
As a journalist, you often get gifts from sources, companies and PR flacks. Most of it is schwag (no, not that kind): pens, mugs, notepads, baseball caps, etc., emblazoned with company logos. Features reporters get inundated with press kits for musicians, DVD releases, album promos, books, etc. Some of it can get pretty outlandish and most newspapers have strict ethics policies about what you can accept and what you must refuse.
But since I've been a business reporter, things are getting out of hand. Here are some of the gifts I've recieved so far:
• A 20-pound basket full of different kinds of gum after I wrote a story about the local Cadbury-Schweppes plant (makers of Trident) and told the general manager I chewed Wrigley's Orbit.
• A Christmas basket filled with all kinds of schwag from Rockford Memorial Hospital, including an instant shoe-shine sponge, a keychain flashlight, a plastic Collins glass, and a box of chocolates.
• A stainless steel ruler for measuring orifice depths on parts and a baseball cap from a local machine shop.
• A shoebox full of cookies the size of coffee-can lids from Cookies By Design from a grateful source. Did I mention they were sandwiched together with a layer of frosting between each pair?
But today was the most embarrassing:
• Twelve long-stemmed red roses from a florist that I just interviewed for a regular showcase on local small businesses. Why give a reporter red roses? It sends the wrong message...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 schwag.

6:30 AM

 
Blogger Abby said...

hahah and they sent roses of all things. You got flowers at work! hahaha!

2:41 PM

 
Blogger Anna said...

I don't think I've gotten half as much stuff as you've gotten. I guess I just wasn't doing the right kind of stories.

9:24 AM

 
Blogger Nate said...

yeah, but it's hurting my credibility as a journalist. I used to be a hard-hitting political reporter. now I'm just a pushover for the corporate titans.

6:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home