Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why I'll never shop at Macy's

The battery on my Fossil watch died this week, so I went out to the department store formerly known as Marshall Field's to get it replaced. When I first got the watch years ago, a Field's clerk adjusted the armband with a special tool for me, so I figured they had the equipment to take the back off and install a new battery.
But Marshall Field's is dead. Department store chain Federated bought the Chicago icon a few years ago and turned the entire chain into Macy's so it could save money printing gift boxes.
Anyway, the clerk at Macy's said they don't change batteries. What?! I was pretty frustrated by that, so she directed me to Dakota Watch Co., one of those crummy kiosks that clutter every square foot of the mall. The friendly clerk manning the display was in the middle of eating her dinner, but she replaced the battery on my watch for $17 with a 2-year warranty.
So a kiosk that sells $39.99 watches in the middle of the mall can provide better service to me than one of the oldest department stores in the country. Lame. No wonder department stores are dying...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger theologien said...

can you spell oxymoron? You know, like "customer service?"

12:10 AM

 
Blogger katpurrrz said...

$17?! good grief. you got taken...

4:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home