Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

I know that guy!

I'm not a golfer and I never have been interested much in golf. In fact, I still think it's a hoity-toity sport for old, rich white guys. And if I ever become an old, rich white guy, I'm still not learning how to play golf.
But this year I've probably paid more attention to the PGA Tour than ever before. I watched Tiger Woods face-off with Rocco Mediate at the U.S. Open. But now pro Kenny Perry is on a tear, which is awesome because he's the only pro I've ever met.
Last year I tagged along with a sports reporter to the Rockford Pro-Am, the longest-running standalone amateur event in the PGA, because he needed help taking video during the day. Kenny Perry comes nearly every year. But this year was special: I was standing among a crowd at one of the tees when an errant golf ball whistled overhead and struck something soft with a thud. That something was Kenny's chest.
Later on, we interviewed Kenny about it -- he had an icepack strapped on under his shirt. I got his autograph and gave it to a friend of mine who loves golf. But the best part was the injured Perry hit a hole in one that day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home