Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Monday, May 19, 2008

My child is brilliant...

Yesterday, I desperately needed to mow the lawn. The grass was so tall that safari groups were losing their way in it for days. But Nicholas was with me so I asked him if he wanted to come outside and ride his bike while I mowed so I could keep an eye on him. He said, no, I'd rather watch a movie.
So I told him he could come outside whenever he finished. I left the back door open and absentmindedly shut the door between the kitchen and the back porch -- forgetting that even though that door has no lock, Nicholas can't twist the 90-year-old doorknob enough to open it himself. So I had unwittingly locked him in the house.
About 10 minutes later, I'm blazing away on the lawn, oblivious to any sound other than the roar of the mower. My neighbor's son runs up and yells that my car alarm is going off. I run around to the garage and as I do, I look up at the living room window and see Nicholas inside, tears streaming down his face.
He was beside himself because he couldn't get out of the house. He must have tried to get my attention through the windows because his stuffed bunny was lying next to the front door glass. But I couldn't hear him. So possessing advanced critical thinking skills at the age of 5, he pushed the panic button on my car key fob and set off the alarm to alert me.
After I calmed him down, he confirmed my theory. I didn't even know he understood what the red horn button meant on my key chain. But he figured out a way to get my attention. My child is a genius...
And I am a horrible father.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger katpurrrz said...

Fabulous! I received an e-mail msg. a while back that that's what you should do if you have an intruder. Guess it works just as well when someone wants out...!

11:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home