Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Nicholas' impact on me

I realize after that last post what a normative effect Nicholas has had on me during the last year and a half. Meegan and I separated in November 2006 and since then he's lived with me.
The pain of the separation then was so great that I really just wanted to give up. As a recovering alcoholic, that meant anesthetizing myself with gallons of booze. As in, Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas. But I couldn't do that because Nicholas lived with me. So I went to AA and stayed sober instead. I don't know if I would've done that initially without his presence.
Now I realize as I face feelings of loneliness again that Nicholas gets me out of myself and forces me to act like an adult (or my closest imitation of one). So in some ways, he's been my salvation.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh Pelman said...

I'm glad that he's there to help keep you on this side. There's lots of us who also want you here. Good work being 'dad', Nate.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Nate said...

Thanks JP. You're a good friend.

4:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home