Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cougars: Our greatest threat

The Trib has another follow-up story on the cougar that Chicago police shot after it wandered into Roscoe Village. Freak occurrence, but of course a bunch of mambie-pambies whined that they should have tranquilized the thing and relocated it. Yeah, sure. Let a giant carnivorous beast wander the streets while you call in animal control. Oh wait, how many doses of cat tranquilizer will it take to knock out a mountain lion, sarge?
Sheesh. It's sad that it was shot because it's a magnificent animal, but c'mon.
But that wasn't the best part of the story. Here's a break-out tips box:
ENCOUNTERING A COUGAR
- Pick up children immediately.
- Do not approach it. Give the cougar an avenue for escape.
- Do not run; this can trigger an attack.
- Back away without turning your back on it.
- Do all you can to look bigger. Don't hide or crouch down.
Mmm-khay. I'll make sure to remember those tips FOR THE NEXT TIME I RUN INTO A COUGAR IN THE THIRD LARGEST CITY IN AMERICA!

4 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Oh god, I love Daley:
"Now, I just want to tell you, if the cougar attacked a child, they'd sue the city because the police officer didn't do their job," Daley said"I didn't see a neighbor run out and grab it and say, 'Oh I love you' and bring it in the house."

I can just hear the "gimme a break" in his voice.

4:17 AM

 
Blogger Abby said...

I felt bad for the beast but you're right. There are lots of children in that neighborhood too. How did it get there? That's what I want to know. Last year a fox wandered in a quiznos down in the loop and sat in the cooler so this sort of thing happens from time to time.

5:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha. city of chicago animal control. there was a huge pit bull loose in my neighborhood. called 311 all afternoon for animal control. you know when they came by to check it out? two days later.

oh well, cougar-shmougar, right? HA.

3:05 PM

 
Blogger the filipina chicagoan said...

anonymous was me.

3:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home