Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Brave new world

Today was the annual staff meeting at work. I work at a newspaper, whoops, I mean Information Center. The meeting is where the editorial department director outlines the plans for the upcoming year to a bunch of abrasive smart asses who reflexively distrust authority. I would not want to manage journalists.
But what we talked about is that almost everything about how we do our jobs will be changing. And fast. The not-very-well kept secret of the industry is that the processed tree pulp product we put on porches every day is going buh-bye in the next couple decades. So, newspapers are scrambling to find platforms to replace it. That means online, interactive, etc. At the Register Star, reporters are going to learn how to shoot and edit video and audio, and I'm looking forward to it. No more dawdling on a story until the afternoon deadline, since Web publishing means we can break news 24 hours a day. And that allows us to run our only competitors, the TV stations ragged on a regular basis. So that's kind of fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Glad you are on board.

10:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really exciting, and a much more 'hip' way to break news. I look forward to reading the RRStar online!

11:17 AM

 
Blogger Nate said...

Yes, if you want to get a 4-year degree and then make about the same as you already do tending a bar.

2:09 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

At least when you tend bar there's a certain amount of free booze involved. Interesting blog, though. I have to say, even when I could get the NWH in print by walking down the hall, I would still read it online at my desk. And if there's a video feature on the Trib site, I go to that before I read articles.
Gannett has its faults, but they're right on with this one.

8:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home