Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood

I saw the Cubs game with a friend who has season tickets. We went to high school together and had all the same friends, a big group of guys (and a few girls) we ran with all the time. But that was more than a decade ago. What's strange to me now is that we've grown up. I visited his condo in Wrigleyville, a nice two bedroom with a deck overlooking a shady courtyard. He bought it a few years ago. He sells computers for a living at a huge corporation downtown. He's single and goes to games and concerts a lot.
I still live in our hometown. I have a four-bedroom house and I'm married with a son. I write for a newspaper. I spend my free time watering my flowers and blogging.
This is a guy who in high school sneaked out of American government class with me one sunny afternoon just to see if we could get away with it. This is a guy who a few years later sat on my apartment's unauthorized deck (aka the roof) and grilled brats with me.
Now we're two grown men leading two different kinds of lives.
It's weird, time's effect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay T said...

Oh I bet 5 years from now he'll be chasing a showdy around the playpool, too.

10:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home