Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Cubs and Sox

I'm going to see my first Cubs vs. Sox game this weekend. An old friend had an extra ticket available, so I jumped at the chance. But after witnessing their meltdown against the Brewers yesterday, and so many others this season, I think Sunday's game will basically be a chance to sit in the shade and glower at White Sox fans. And to pretend that witnessing the best rivalry in baseball is consolation having the worst minor league team in MLB.
The Cubs stink so bad this year that I've realized that 2003 will be the cursed year for fans of my generation, just like so many generations who have gone before us. They had 1929, 1969, 1989. For us, 2003 will be the one real chance we had, never to come again, and we'll re-live it and gnash our teeth and lament, just like the losers we were destined to be.
It's sad and pathetic, but we don't get to chose our Chicago team.
It chooses us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home