Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Time to spit Wrigley out

Okay, that settles it. Wrigley Field is a dump.
I just got back from watching the Cubs play in Miller Park. I'd never been to Miller before tonight. In fact, the only places I've ever seen ballgames are Wrigley and the old Comiskey. And let me tell you, my eyes were opened to a whole nuther world of beautiful, spacious ballparks. Concession stands every 20 feet. With every variety of sausages, not just measly non-Vienna hotdogs. Plentiful restrooms; no troughs. Unobstructed views of the field, even in the upper deck. A retractable roof.
Apparently, ballparks don't have to smell like mold, sweat and urine. Or drop chunks of concrete on fans. Or take three days to exit after the 9th inning.
Yeah, that's right, Wrigley stinks. I don't care what the diehards say. It's a trash pit after 90 years of spilled beers and trampled peanut shells. Look around the at the stadiums for other NL Central teams: Minute Maid Park opened in 2002. The Reds play on a three-year-old field. The new Busch Stadium is in its inagural season. Miller opened in 2001. Even the rotten Pirates, the only team in the National League with a worse record than the Cubs, have PNC Park. It's just five years old and touted as one of the prettiest parks in major league baseball.
So why, in the name of everything that is good and true, do we have to put up with the pile of stink rubble that is Wrigley Field? We can transplant the ivy. We can keep the scoreboard. But can we get a new ballpark. Tradition-schmadition. Our only tradition is losing and I for one am willing to let that one go.
Unfortunately, Cub fans are rubes who will keep buying tickets.
Oh yeah, I forgot to point out that the Cubs were shut out tonight by a ruthless Capuano, who pitched all 9 and threw less than 100 times. A fitting finale for my last game of this pathetic season. Mother Tribune won't get another dime of my money until they put a winning team on the field. So from here on out, it's Miller Time if I want to watch the Cubs.
Did I mention it takes me less time to get to that park?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jay T said...

I love Miller Park. I went there once the year it opened.

I've heard radio personalities say that the Cubs should tear down Wrigley and build a new sweet park out in Schaumberg. This was followed by call-in after call-in of Cubs fans appalled at the blashphemy.

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Nate said...

Cubs fans like that are dupes. I'd like the field to stay in Wrigleyville, but even if it didn't, it would be better than what we've got.

3:07 PM

 
Blogger Jay T said...

OK. Can we keep the L-train going by in the background? It always reminds me of Mr. Rogers.

6:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home