Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Blue chip

I've been sober for six months. I got my medallion at an AA meeting today; it's a blue aluminum disk the size of a poker chip. I searched around for one on the internet to show you, but all I could find was this assortment. Mine's the one in the middle row, second from the left.
It feels good to make it this far. If I make it to a year, it will be longest I have ever been away from alcohol or drugs since I started using them in my teens. It also feels weird to hit this anniversary because I've been looking forward to it for awhile. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like I expected to get some epiphany about life. Instead, I feel the same as I did yesterday. Dunno why I think that an artificial milestone is going to create a watershed moment for me since all my moments of clarity have arrived without warning and unrelated to any special dates.
But it felt good to sit in a room full of recovering alcoholics I respect and be congratulated by them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Nate. Mileposts serve a couple of functions, like how far we've come, and how far we have to go. But usually it comes out as "are we there yet?"

1:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I hope things are going well.

5:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! Nate, Congratulations!! I had no idea!!! Keep up the great work at AA!!

8:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home