Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sharing food

Yesterday I went to visit Abby and Andrew, my sister and brother- in-law, in Chicago. My brother Ben came along too. Last night we at an Ethiopian restaurant, a new experience for me.
All four of our entrees were served on a single platter. Andrew and I had lamb, Ben had chicken and Abby had a vegetarian combo with spinach and lentils. Instead of silverware, the food is eaten with injera, a flat bread that resembles Swedish pancakes, but has a sour taste from the yeast. The trick is scooping up a stewed dish with injera and getting it to your mouth before you drop food on your white shirt.
We sat at a meshob, a low table that was woven like a basket. It wasn't much bigger than the endtables that hold lamps at either end of a couch. The meal was delicious and followed by a pot of strong Ethiopian coffee. I really enjoyed the food, but unfortunately, it revolted against me later. The curse of a weak stomach.
The whole experience makes me think of a friend who is in northeast Africa right now. Perhaps you've enjoyed an intimate meal around a meshob already, Josh.

3 Comments:

Blogger MappyB said...

Oh no! Sorry you were sick afterwards, Ethiopian food is fantastic! Try Moroccan sometime too if you have a chance, Lebanese is also very delicious. I wish Savannah had an Ethiopian place now, yum! Glad you enjoyed it!

5:35 PM

 
Blogger Abby said...

I guess our adventure was doomed to be more like Along Came Polly than we thought. Doh!

7:59 PM

 
Blogger theologien said...

Looks like the Red Sea Restaurant on Clark St(?). I love the food and the place, but you do have to have a hearty constitution with the food.

Start with the safe stuff, or just plan to pay the piper (John?).

hd

9:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home