Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Noir I ain't

My noir kick has accelerated. I got a 5-disc DVD set of film noir for Christmas. I also joined Netflix at the cheapest rate to get access to every noir flick ever made. So far my favorites have been D.O.A., The Big Sleep and Double Indemnity.
Here's something I've discerned about the genre. Most follow a template: regular guy with dull job meets a titillating woman who pulls him into a seamy underworld of crime. He could be an accountant, a mechanic, an insurance salesman. She's often married or otherwise attached. In that respect, they're morality plays because the protagonist always faces major consequences for his sexual indiscretion. The movies were also cleaned up for the Hollywood censors of the '40s and '50s; the pulp fiction story lines that they were based on were a lot smuttier.
Anyway, thanks to my Netflix membership (just $4.99 a month!), I can watch these babies all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home