Home of the stovetop latte, a DIY drink perfected by years of trial and error.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Everybody knows me, but is it a good thing?

Working as a newspaper reporter in my hometown is a strange experience. Previously, I've always covered towns that I knew nothing about before working there. Nobody knew me and I didn't know anybody either, so it was a blank slate. Now, I can hardly go anywhere for my job without running into someone and being reminded of my past selves that I'd forgotten or hoped to avoid.
Earlier this week I went to an insurance agent's office for an interview about Life Insurance Awareness Month (yeah, I know, but it's a paycheck) and he knew my parents. He turned out to be the father of two twins I used to attend church with.
Then, today, I went to pick up my car from the body shop and I recognized the woman behind the counter. Her name was Jenny, she was the younger sister of a woman I dated after high school, Carrie. She was the closest thing I ever had to a "serious girlfriend" before I met my wife. After college, she went on to teach the very same English classes that we shared in high school and she got married several years ago. Jenny informed me that Carrie just had her first baby in July. His name is Will. I was happy for her and I kind of wanted to meet him. But it all seemed very weird.
So, here's my best Elton John voice: "The cirr-cul of liii-fe"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can understand that feeling. I have so many 'circle of life' moments, we would need to sit down over a hot pot for all the stories. Maybe when I'm back in town!

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I have those experiences a lot. I think it's especially creepy when you find out two of your friends already know each other, or they know friends or family of someone you know. It's that sixth degree of separation thing.

9:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home